This is Jane’s signature dish and her most sought-after recipe! A rice salad that is fresh and bursting with different flavours and textures. Just look at the brilliant colours: verdant coriander and pistachios contrast with ruby cranberries and jewels of pomegranate. The looks are more than matched by the taste: every mouthful is an explosion of sweet and sour, bitter and fresh, underlined by wholesome rice and nuts. It’s so good you could eat it as a meal on its own, although we more regularly have it as a side in a large spread. Perfect for a BBQ or picnic, just be ready to let your friends know where you got the recipe from ;).
This recipe is our favourite combination, but is ripe for experimentation. Don’t worry if you can’t get all the ingredients, add your own style! If you can’t get pomegranate, for example, try adding some more herbs instead. Mix up the nuts and fruit to your own taste. The dressed rice is a perfect canvas to create your own work of art.
- 2½ cups brown rice
- 2 limes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- 1 cup currants
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ⅔ cup pistachio kernels, roughly chopped
- ½ cup almond slivers
- 1 small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- Cook the brown rice using your preferred method and set aside to cool in a large salad bowl.
- Toast the pistachios and almonds in a 150°C oven (or a dry frying pan) until lightly browned, around 4-5 minutes.
- Combine the zest and juice of the limes with the olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper to form a dressing. Mix into the rice thoroughly.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the rice and toss to distribute evenly. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.